Orahovača (Walnut Flavored Likor)kazani
Things you’ll need:
- Large Open Mouth Jar (6 liter minimal)
- 4 liters of alcohol (brandy, vodka, rum, moonshine or any clear distilled spirit)
- 7 – 1.0 liters of Cognac (I use relatively cheap Cognac)
- 2 kg sugar (you can use more to make it sweeter and thicker to taste)
- 5 dried vanilla beans
- 100-120 olive sized baby walnuts (these need to be harvested in spring at the appropriate time depending on your zone.)
- Using caution and a small knife make 2-4 small slices in every young walnut and put them in the jar. There is no need to cut too deep, just to break the skin.
- Add the other ingredients to the jar and stir with a large wooden spoon.
- Cover the jar with cellophane or saran wrap and a rubber band (or a lid if it has one) and leave in a sunny location for at least one month stirring every few days.
- A coffee filter or cheese cloth and funnel can be used to filter pour from the jar directly into the bottles.
- Yields approximately 6 liters.
- The alcohol will start to remove a dark green extract from the walnut skins. It will first appear as thin green ribbons in the suspension. This is normal. After one month it will appear nearly black. If held to the light it should be a deep, dark forest green.
- Makes an excellent after dinner drink and goes superbly with a cup of coffee. Also a great winter and holiday season treat!